Anchor link is a very powerful way to improve your SEO and your ranking on your strategic keywords.
An anchor link simply involves replacing a link in your content with a phrase or keywords that faithfully represent what the reader should expect when clicking on it.
Here’s an anchor link example:
By facilitating the reading of a link with the relevant keywords, you will be able to really improve your ranking and your influence on a subject.
Let’s see how to effectively create anchor links and how this SEO technique can work for your websites.
1. Make The Readers Experiences Easier
Anchor links are useful way for the reader to make it easier to read and catch your eyes and:
- Focus on a specific subject;
- Give a definition;
- Give you more material to read on a global subject that interests you and that you would like to deepen;
- Make you discover all the content and areas in which your company is expert.
In addition, your CMS will pass the terms containing your links in color (highlight anchor texts), stand out in your paragraph and thus attract users’ eyes.
2. Improve your SEO as Well as The Visual of your Links
During the crawler passage from Google, the robots will identify your anchor links in order to determine on which keywords you should be ranked in the search results.
So far, Google can display an anchor link in the search results as a “reference link” like this:
Not only can a anchor link boost your SEO, but it can also lighten and purify your article.
As a result, make it easier for your audience to read. So remember not to put a link in the form of a long text in your content.
3. Treat your Backlinks, But Also Your Internal Links
Anchor links with anchor texts used by external sites to point to your content(Backlinks) play positively on your SEO.
When you perform the link building in or if the author of the other sites (Guest Blogging) tell you about the links you want to link back to your content, you can suggest the keyword or target expression for which you want to improve your rankings and your influence. (Anchor Texts with Anchor Links)
If you have editors working on your blog articles, provide them in your brief with the exact terms to add in their links.
In On-Page SEO, the focus is often on external links and internal links. However, don’t neglect your internal links. The links you make between your different articles with the appropriate anchor links on the relevant keywords prove your influence on a particular subject.
4. Be Precise in Integrating your Anchor Links into the CMS (Most popular is WordPress CMS)
Whichever CMS you use, the method for adding an anchor links is quite similar:
- Select the text where you want to add the anchor: Be careful not to do it vulgarly and to include a small piece of text on the left and right like pronouns.
- Clicking on the hieroglyphic string means adding hypertext links.
- Add the URL to which you want to direct your reader: It may be internal link, in this case directly search for the article on your site using keyword search bar (if you’re using Yoast SEO plugin in WordPress, it has a section that suggest all relevant articles, so you just click on the links and copy it). If the URL is external, copy and paste it.)
- Choose the opening in a new tab for two reasons: The first is to allow your reader to finish the article they are reading. Second, it increases session time (reduce bounce rate and plays a positive role in your SEO.
- Don’t forget to put the link in Nofollow or Dofollow to tell Google crawlers whether to “count” it in your backlinks.
Pro Tip: How to Create an Anchor link in HTML ?
(*) If you want to link in the same page in HTML:
First, create the anchor link with a # prefix tag, like this:
(1) <a href="#example">Example headline</a>
Then, scroll down to the section that you want to show when click on the link, add the ID attribute to the HTML tag, and then add the anchor link slug without the # prefix, like this:
(2). <h2><a id="example"></a>Example headline</h2>
When pressing the above link (1), the browser will jump to the headline (2)
(**) If you want to link to anchor on another page in HTML: The code like this:
(1) <a href="https://abc.com/example-url/" rel="nofollow target="_blank">External link</a>
(2) <a href="https://abc.com/example-url/" rel="dofollow target="_blank">Internal link</a>
Note: At this time, I rarely use nofollow rel tags for reference websites (outbound links), I put them all the most naturally for SEO. (All are dofollow links)
5. Don’t Choose Terms (Anchor Texts) Randomly
To create an effective anchor link, here are some examples of relevant choices:
(a) The best anchor links comes down to the perfect match between your main keywords and the terms chosen to place your hyperlink.
Example: I choose the term “improving users experiences” that link to a relevant post:
(b) You can make a partial match by selecting an expression that includes, among other terms, your main keyword.
Example: “the levers of your SEO strategy” (the main keyword is SEO strategy)
(c) To quote a brand, a company or a blog, simply add an anchor with the name of the brand which refers to the website of the company.
Example: “SEO by Yoast, an essential WordPress plugin for your SEO Works” – There are two anchor links in this case: on anchor link for Yoast – The service site(external link) and one for SEO Works – Thematic article dealing with the subject(internal link).
(d) On images, anchor links will be your alt texts. Make sure to include your keywords.
Here is HTML code to insert anchor links for images:
<a href="https://abc.com/example-url/"><img src="https://abc.com/assets/seo-strategy.jpg" width="600" height="400" alt="seo-strategy"></a>
(e) The generic anchors are classic: read the article to see more, click here. If these terms are useful in UX design to standardize call-to-action, they’re not recommended in SEO. In fact, their impact in your SEO are very low.
You may have thought that a few words in color wouldn’t be important for your website … On the contrary, taking care of your anchor links in all the content of your site can have a phenomenal leverage effect in SEO. Do not deprive yourself.
Kevin Lewis Online